Friday 12 July 2013

Damien Hirst and Lowry Exhibitions

I have been a bit of a globe trotter recently, mainly to places within the UK but we have had such fantastic weather recently it has felt like being on holiday!

While enjoying the weather I have also visited a few exhibitions which has given me a lot of inspiration for designing! (I have been lacking in motivation recently!)

While in Plymouth I went into a Damien Hirst exhibition showcasing his butterfly and skull prints. I can't say I was taken by the skull prints but I loved the kaleidoscope butterflies! I'm not great at analysing art so i'm not going to pretend to be, but I loved the colours and the pattern that the butterfly wings created.





While visiting family in Manchester I also went to the Lowry centre and saw the Lowry exhibition showcasing some of his work that had never been seen before. My dad is a big fan of Lowry coming from Manchester, where he used to get inspiration for his art. He is most famously known for his matchstick men paintings, and it didn't disappoint, he is now one of my favourite artists too! 


This one is called 'girl from front and girl from back'





Lowry's famous matchstick men on a very fashionable tie!

His drawings and titles have a childlike innocence to them which I love although they can also be quite dark and disturbing. I am a fan of geometric art so the paintings of the buildings in Manchester Salford really captured my interest but also the colour.He really creates an atmosphere with the paintings which make you feel like you are actually there as they have such a lot of movement and life within them. 

If you do get a chance or are in the area I would recommend visiting both exhibitions, I will put a link at the bottom for both websites! Hope you can get to them and enjoy them as much as I did.


http://www.thedranggallery.com/ - Damien Hirst
http://www.thelowry.com/event/unseen-lowry - Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment